UPDATED 04-22-2020

In an effort to slow the potential spread of COVID-19 in our community,
Saguache County government will have limited access to buildings 
beginning Monday, April 27, 2020. 

In an effort to move forward with our job duties, a decision was made
to begin integrating the public back into the county sector.  

Staff will be providing limited essential services via phone and online avenues.
In-person contact for receiving essential services will have limited restrictions during this time. 

These adjustments to county services and public access will be in place until further notice.


Go Vote Colorado


By visiting www.govotecolorado.com you can quickly Sagauche County Voter Registration
and easily update your registration,
change your address or party affiliation.

Clips from the Clerk - Late Fees

Clip’s from the Clerk
By Trish Gilbert
Saguache County Clerk & Recorder
Motor Vehicles
  • Late Fees for Motor Vehicles are $25.00 (twenty-five dollars) for each month or portion of a month following the expiration of the registration period not to exceed $100.00 (one hundred dollars).
Trailers and Vehicles Without Motive Power
  • Late Fees for weights of sixteen thousand pounds or less - or a camper trailer - or a multipurpose trailer regardless of its weight, that is not registered when required by law, will be $10.00 (ten dollars) and are not eligible for waiver except:
    • Commercial Vehicle Trailers idled for a full registration period shall not be imposed a late fee.
Available exemptions for motor vehicle late fees accrued on and after September 1, 2010 are:
  • Act of God
  • Furlough
  • Information Technology Failure
  • Medical Hardship
  • Office Closure
  • Weather Related Delay
Vehicle owners have three months in which to avoid late fees.
  • Registration Renewal Notices are sent out by the State one month prior to the expiration of vehicles. You can renew your registration one month prior to its expiration and the expiration month will stay the same for the following year.
  • Registrations can be renewed at any time within the month of expiration.
  • Registrations can be renewed, without a late fee, one month following the expiration of the registration; however, “expired” is still “expired” in cop-land.
Don’t forget, you can register your vehicles online at mydmv.colorado.gov up to 11:59 p.m. on the day of expiration.

Clips from the Clerk - Titling Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)

Clip’s from the Clerk
By Trish Gilbert
Saguache County Clerk & Recorder
Titling Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)

Senate Bill 13-280 Titling Off Highway Vehicles (OHV), effective July 1, 2014, creates the ability for Off-Highway Vehicles and Snowmobiles to be titled. 

Senate Bill 13-280 applies only to titling of OHV – registration is still completed through Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Off-Highway Vehicle Definition


An Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV), C.R.S. 42-6-102 (11.5), is defined as a self-propelled vehicle that is:

  • Designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground.
  • Designed primarily for use off of the public highways and generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes.
  • Off-highway vehicles do not include:
    • Toy vehicles (any vehicle with wheels and is not designed for use on the public highways or for off-road use)
    • Vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water
    • Military vehicles
    • Golf carts or golf cars
    • Vehicles designed and used to carry persons with disabilities
    • Vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes
    • Motor Vehicles
A Snowmobile, C.R.S. 42-6o-102 (18.5), is defined as:
  • A self-propelled vehicle primarily designed or altered for travel on snow or ice off of the public highways and supported by skis, belts, or cleats.
  • Snowmobile does not include machinery used for the grooming of snowmobile trails or ski slopes.
OHV Titling Requirements
Proof of Ownership.
  • Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) / Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO)
  • Certificate of Title
  • Current Colorado Parks and Wildlife OHV registration
  • If in a dealer’s inventory prior to July 1, 2014, a Statement of Fact (Form DR 2444) for each OHV stating the following:
“Prior to July 1, 2014, the off-highway vehicle detailed above was held as inventory by:  Dealer Name Address City, CO Zip Phone Number”
  • Completed DR 2395 Title / Registration Application
  • All current titling laws, processes, and procedures apply. Dealers have 30 days to deliver title to customers.  Owner’s address of residence is used unless the OHV is permanently maintained at a different address.  Businesses will use the address where the vehicle is principally operated and maintained.  Dealers may obtain title on behalf of the customer by a Power of Attorney (Form DR 2174 or DR 2175).  After the title has been established in the individual’s name, the dealer may make the assignment by POA on the title.  OHV may not be issued salvage titles.  Dealer purchases / trades from an individual on or after July 1, 2014 requires an individual to obtain title prior to selling an OHV to a dealer.
Titling is optional for Private Party to Private Party sale, unless required (once it has been titled, titling shall continue).
All title forms can be found at www.colorado.gov/revenue
Titles may be obtained from our office; however, Registration may be obtained from the following agency:
Colorado Parks and Wildlife – Registration Unit
13787 S Highway 85
Littleton CO 80125
(303) 791-1920
For questions please contact our office at 719-655-2512.  Jane, Desiree, Ben, Dominique and I are here to help.

Clips from the Clerk - All Terrain/Watercraft Vehicles

Clip’s from the Clerk
By Trish Gilbert
Saguache County Clerk & Recorder
Vehicles which are designed and manufactured for off-road use only.
The manufacturers of these vehicles have stated that modifications cannot be made to make the vehicle roadworthy.
Examples of Off-Road Vehicles:
  • Mini Bikes
  • Golf-Carts
  • Go-Carts
  • ATV’s With 3 or More Wheels
  • Trail Bikes
  • Dune Buggies
  • Snowmobiles
Off-Road Vehicles and all water craft are not registered as motor vehicles.  Registration may be obtained from the following agency:
Colorado Parks and Wildlife – Registration Unit
13787 S Highway 85
Littleton CO 80125
(303) 791-1920
Toy Vehicles.
“Toy vehicle” means any vehicle that has wheels and is not designated for use on public highways or for off-road use.
Examples of Toy Vehicles:
  • Go-ped
  • Kamikaze Boards
  • Mini Bikes
  • Hoverboards
  • Pocket Bikes
  • Stand-up Scooters
  • Segway

Clips from the Clerk - License Plate Cancellations

Clip’s from the Clerk
By Trish Gilbert
Saguache County Clerk & Recorder
License Plate Cancellations

License plate cancellations require Secure and Verifiable I.D. and can only be completed by a registered owner of a vehicle for which the license plates are registered.  License Plates may be cancelled by someone other than a registered owner if that person has been given power of attorney or is a named beneficiary for vehicles registered to a trust.

Cancellation of license plates are not conducted over the phone or when the person cannot be established as a registered owner.

Lost or Stolen License Plates

  • Customer responsibilities:
    • Complete and sign form DR 2283 Lost or Stolen License Plates/Permits Affidavit indicating that the plates were, in fact, lost or stolen.
      • Customer must file a police report with their local law enforcement agency to report the plates as lost or stolen.
    • Submit form DR 2283 Lost or Stolen License Plates/Permits Affidavit to the local County Motor Vehicle Office for cancellation of plates at the county level.
    • Signature is required from one owner.
    • County Responsibilities:
      • Verify owner has signed the DR 2283 Lost or Stolen License Plates/Permits Affidavit.
      • Cancel the plates on the county motor vehicle file.
      • Issue replacement plates when applicable.

You can get form DR 2283 at our office or by going online to Colorado.gov/revenue and click in the following order:

    *For Customers
            *Division of Motor Vehicles

If you have any questions or need any assistance, THE AWE SOME FOUR (Jane, Ben, Desiree and Dominique) and I are here to help. 

Clip's from the Clerk - Private Tow-Abandoned Vehicle

Clip’s from the Clerk
By Trish Gilbert
Saguache County Clerk & Recorder

C.R.S. 42-4-2101 provides for the removal, storage and disposal of abandoned vehicles by Private Tow.

C.R.S. 42-4-2102(1)(a)  Any motor vehicle left unattended on private property for a period of twenty-four hours or longer or for such other period as may be established by local ordinance without the consent of the owner or lessee of such property of the owner’s or lessee’s legally authorized agent; (b) Any motor vehicle stored in an impound lot at the request of its owner or the owner’s agent and not removed from the impound lot according to the agreement with the owner of the impound lot; (c) Any motor vehicle that is left on private property without the property owner’s consent, towed at the request of the property owner within forty-eight hours; or (d) A motor vehicle fitted with an immobilization device that is on private property and deemed to be abandoned pursuant to section 42-4-1105(7)(c).

Tow operators are required to be registered with the Colorado Public Utilities Commission and the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles to place a possessory lien on a vehicle. 

eRecording is Available!

The main focus of recording is the maintenance and integrity of the Saguache County Public Land Records which date back to the 1800’s.  Our duties include recording and imaging documents for permanent public record; providing a grantor/grantee index for search and retrieval of recorded documents and providing copies of those documents to the public upon request.
Documents typically recorded in our office include but are not limited to:
  • Deeds (warranty, quit claim, beneficiary, personal representative, etc.)
  • Deeds of Trust and Mortgages
  • Plats and Land Surveys
  • Easements and Covenants
  • Liens and Transcripts of Judgment
  • Marriage and Civil Union Licenses
  • Military Discharge Records
The Saguache County Clerk & Recorder’s Office offers eRecording services.  Electronically submitting documents for recording increases speed and security and decreases costs, when compared to traditional mail submissions. 
Online document recording is encouraged for anyone who records multiple documents frequently.  If you are interested in this service please contact one of the vendors below.
  • CSC eRecording Solutions   866-652-0111
  • SIMPLIFILE                         800-460-5657
  • Indecomm Global Services 651-415-9361